Herbed Biscuits and Gravy Combined!
Biscuits + Gravy. Who would even thought that this kind of combination can exist? And don’t get me wrong! These are not your ordinary biscuits. These are biscuits made out of herbs. So even if you’re not a gravy person, believe that these homemade, from scratch herbed biscuits and gravy actually look and taste palatable than any other commercially sold ones.
Bev at Bev Cooks shares this incredible recipe with just a few ingredients and easy steps! Check them out:
Photo from http://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewg5/when-biscuits-met-gravy-dst2#.gum17z5Z8v
For the Biscuits
* 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
* 1/8 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 Tbs. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp coarse salt
* 3 Tbs. cold butter (unsalted)
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 1 scallion, finely chopped (save whites for the gravy)
* 2 Tbs. freshly chopped parsley
For the Gravy
* the remaining scallion whites, finely chopped
* 1 pound breakfast pork sausage
* 4 Tbs. butter
* 4 Tbs. flour
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 cup milk (preferrably with reduced fat)
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper
* 1 pinch coarse salt
* 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
To do your herbed biscuits, simply follow these steps:
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small chunks and crumble it into the flour until appropriate crumbly texture is achieved.
- Add the buttermilk, scallions and parsley. Stir until JUST combined. Don’t overdo it. It should be on the wet side.
- Plop it out onto a floured work surface. Gently pat the mix until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Fold it over 4 or 5 times and pat it down until it’s about an inch thick. Don’t roll it out or do too much
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into 4 or 5 circles.
- Place them on a (very lightly greased) baking sheet. Now, I read that if you put the biscuits right next to each other, they’ll rise more. If you space them out about an inch apart, they won’t rise as high, but you’ll get a nice crusty exterior all over.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, checking to see when they’re golden brown.
In the meantime, make your gravy.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high. Add the scallion whites (and a tiny drop of oil) and sauté them for about a minute.
- Add the pork sausage and break up with a wooden spoon, browning all over for about 8 minutes. Taste it to make sure the pig did it right.
- While the sausage is browning, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Once melted and the foaming has subsided, add the flour.
- Whisk until it becomes a nice golden paste, about a minute. Add the cream, milk, cayenne, salt and the tsp of pepper. Keep whisking until it’s creamy and think.
- Pour the sausage into the cream sauce, little by little. If you don’t want to put the entire pound in, that’s fine. Do what you like!
Serve sliced biscuits with a few good spoonfuls of the gravy, and garnish with parsley! Try this and tell us how beautiful your herbed biscuits and gravy turned out to be! Share your herby experience today!
See more at http://www.coolhomerecipes.com/homemade-herbed-biscuits-and-gravy/